This is an old thread, but I wanted to to update it. I finally got round to making a replica of this stool. I followed the advice given and it worked well. Although not pictured, I used stop cuts on the bench seat, then chiselled out the waste and refined with the spokeshave and scraper. I’ve no idea what the black staining is on the seat. There were a few other imperfections on the wood, it wasn’t the best quality but I wanted to use it. Filled a few splits with epoxy. The scraper was invaluable for the shaping. I still need to do some final shaping and cut the mortises for the pegs. Will probably use danish oil to finish.