Reply To: How would you repair this bad blow out of wood during panel glue up?

Welcome! Forums General Woodworking Discussions Woodworking Methods and Techniques How would you repair this bad blow out of wood during panel glue up? Reply To: How would you repair this bad blow out of wood during panel glue up?

joeleonetti
Participant

Thanks All for the feedback. I prepared cauls to go both directions so that that break would close properly. Used lots of packing tape and the cauls. For the wood surface where glue shouldn’t end up, I put down some painters tape. Did a dry clamp up first. I used warm liquid hide glue and held the piece in a variety of directions to get glue everywhere it should go. It’s in the clamps and I will let it sit overnight. We shall see how it goes. I’ve also attached a photo of the carcass of this Shaker chimney cupboard. I’m close to finished. I’m following a design from Fine Woodworking. It appears quite popular as I’ve seen a few others make it on the monthly photos that get posted I will follow up after I remove it form the clamps and clean it up with my hand plane and wood filler.

I’ve decided to keep this piece rather than remake it mostly for two reasons: it’s for my household, it’s on the inside and likely won’t be seen. If I had done something similar on the front, I would have remade it. I would have preferred to not have made this mistake but I am certainly learning a lot. Unlikely I will do this again or get over forceful during glue up with clamps. If something is going together like the dry run, there is likely a reason other than swelling by the glue on the joints.

IMG_0819

IMG_0823

IMG_0824

IMG_0820

• This reply was modified 1 year, 3 months ago by joeleonetti.
Attachments: