Reply To: Can an aluminium shooting board guide rail abrade the edge of a shooting plane?

Welcome! Forums General Woodworking Discussions Tools and Tool Maintenance/Restoration Can an aluminium shooting board guide rail abrade the edge of a shooting plane? Reply To: Can an aluminium shooting board guide rail abrade the edge of a shooting plane?

Sven-Olof Jansson
Participant

Many thanks Larry! You are the polymath of WWMC.

Happily, I found provider of cut to measure acetal. Once past the weekend, I’ll contact them. Their home page informs on a bit of delivery times; hence I wonder if the below suggestion can be something as a temporary solution.

To assure square to the surface cut, I made the below guide. Basically a strip of beech with quite strong magnets running in a groove, and a strip of brass along the bottom, it holds chisel backs very firmly. The brass has not harmed the chisel edges, but, please may ask:

Is there a risk that it would abrade the edge of the shooting plane?

Guide for square cuts

There is some space available along the width of the shooting plane guide, allowing for adhering a brass strip to the rail, and still be able to run the plane. The strip is a meagre 1/32″ taller than the edge of the plane, as to why hope the brass will not abrade the plane edge.

Brass strip along guide rail

If you can put up with a final question:

Would epoxy glue and using two wedged pieces of wood to give pressure, be good enough to hold the strip?

Pressure on brass strip

Is it very impertinent to ask why Mr. Eastly needs a shooting board, given his access to machines; or could it be that the Bosch cross cut and mitre saw isn’t sufficiently accurate?

Sven-Olof Jansson
London, UK; Boston, MA

Attachments: