Here’s one of my finished picture frames.
I used a skew rabbit plane to do the back and front rebates. Cut the miters free hand and touched up on a shooting board. I was highly skeptical of the method of gluing and splining all at once but it turned out to be easy and effective. Didn’t even need to clamp.
The splines I made from two layers of sapele veneer. I tried to cut them as Paul showed but was getting pretty uneven results. Eventually I gave up and used a different method which I’d like to share. To make the splines I glued 2 layers of veneer together. It made for a kind of “plywood” which was the perfect thickness to fit my tenon saw kerf. To glue the veneer together, I took two 1″ wide by 12″ long strips and loaded them up with high strength glue. After pressing together I wrapped them in masking tape (to catch the glue squeeze out) and put it into my bench vice.
The result was a glue-saturated hardened spline. Worked wonderfully.
I feel the picture deserves some mention too. I shot it on the Oregon coast, on a old 1930’s Zeiss Ikon Nettar. It’s a folding camera with bellows and a fixed lens, which takes 120 film and makes huge 6x9cm negatives. I developed the film and made the print in my under-the-stairs closet darkroom.
The mat is simply a piece of scrap card board painted with acrylic. I couldn’t believe it when I went to the arts and crafts supply store and they were selling mats for upwards of $15! This one is a recycled cereal box.
I really enjoyed making this project, from top to bottom all with my own two hands. Thanks Paul!
Thanks for reading:)
You must be logged in to reply to this topic.