Well, my workbench is more or less finished. I spent most of this afternoon fine tuning the fit of the vise and making the jaws. The height of my bench is 39″ and early indications are that this is going to be a good height for me: no backache tonight. I still need to apply some Danish Oil but I’m going to wait for the weather to warm up a bit first. Later on, I’ll be adding a tail vise and making a storage area at the other end but for now, I’m calling this bench ready for active service. It’s been blast building it and I cant wait to start working through the Master classes in earnest now.
Attachments:You must be logged in to view attached files.
Jon, a hearty congratulations to you! You’ve worked steadily and surely and now may you enjoy it and the coming projects I look forward to following.
Thanks for the detailed progression of updates, they have been inspirational and useful as I press on to build mine. Looking at the photos of the finished bench, I picture myself at that same stage in the project…so tantalizing!
Any thoughts for the next project?
Looks great! Will finally be able to build my new bench this spring. Have been *very* busy with work and haven’t had much of a chance to follow too much on the forums just lately…barely have time to keep up on watching the vids. But my job demands should lighten up a bit soon and I should have a bit more free time. Hope mine turns out as nice as yours and many of the others I’ve seen here.
Many thanks for all those kind comments folks. I have really enjoyed building this bench. I’m going to use it for a while “as is” until I’ve figured out what effect it may or may not have on the way I work. I’ve already noticed that the extra height has changed my stance when I’m sawing and planing – the planing in particular. Everything that Paul says about pushing the plane from the rear rather than bearing down from above makes a lot more sense and I now also understand what he reshape a the handle of his planes. I’m going to have to do something similar myself now as my hand tends to slide up the handle and ends up pushing the back of the plane down now. My wife has vey kindly started to draw up a LONG list of projects for me to build “now that you’ve got your bench”. 😀
Hi Justin. I did use 2×3’s (well, 47x75mm for the pedantic) timber for the top. The aprons were made from 2×4’s (47x100mm).
I used 10 lengths of timber for the worktop (8 at the front and 2 at the rear), and 6 lengths for the aprons.
All the timber for the legs was reclaimed from when I knocked down our old conservatory. I reused the roof beams. They were also 2×4 but needed to be planed down a bit due to twisting etc.
- You must be logged in to reply to this topic.