Finished Workbench – So many mistakes but it's done

Welcome! Forums Project Series Workbench Finished Workbench – So many mistakes but it's done

This topic contains 0 replies, has 1 voice, and was last updated by  draske 6 months, 3 weeks ago.

Viewing 1 post (of 1 total)
  • Author
  • #554739


    This bench was based on Paul’s design from Working Wood 1 & 2 book.

    Throughout this project I received valuable direct help by many forum members here, as well as help indirectly via researching other’s questions and answers in the forums: thanks to you all.

    In all its ugly splendor, it’s finally “done.” I used the vise today and it feels great to finally be using a bench, albeit one not perfectly crafted.

    A quick summary of challenges encountered (& some overcome):
    – big gaps in leg mortises (used L-brackets to reinforce)

    – Legs not same height (did not discover this until leg assemblies were completed and attached to aprons. Sawed 1/4″ 4×4 discs and glued to bottom of shortest legs. Helps somewhat but difficult problem to solve – avoid if at all possible).

    – When installing vise, my 12V drill was not powerful enough to drive the 5/16 lag screws into the benchtop. I borrowed a 18v drill / driver hoping the extra power would be enough. It worked wonderfully to drive the lag screws into the benchtop, but when I drove smaller lag screws (1/4″) into the apron to fix the vise face there, i broke off the head of one of the screws. So I tried to over-engineer the wood buffers on the vise face, so that it applies inward force on the vise face. .I also plan to install a supporting L-bracket under the right bottom corner of the vise to help compensate.

    I’m sure I left out a few more mistakes – I only list them here in case others read and can avoid these in their bench builds.

Viewing 1 post (of 1 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.