Thanks for the positive comments. I’m glad it’s not just me that finds this stool charming. The seat top is a single slab. I’ve wondered about making one with laminated stock but that introduces a lot more work and planing laminated components can be tricky if the grain of the different laminations are opposing. I’d try it if it was the only option though.
I’ve now cut the little square mortises in either end of the stretcher. If I was doing them again I’d use a brace and bit to remove the bulk, just a Paul does in the current rocking chair project. I think this would have given me a cleaner finish inside the mortise. Just need to make the pegs and metal brackets, then final shaping and finishing. I’ll post a few more pictures as I progress.
Nearly done, brackets fabricated out of one of those metal bars you screw to a door frame for reinforcement. Punched, drilled to 2mm, then 4mm, then 5mm, then countersunk. When I was shaping the legs I came across some splits (it’s not the best quality timber as I’ve said before). I took the unusual (for me) step of going with it and just removing wood around the splits rather than trying to bond them back together. I quite like the result.
If you are going to make this stool, I’d recommend cutting the tenon with two equal shoulders rather than the single shoulder I copied from the original. With a single shoulder, driving the peg in pulls the stretcher and leg out of alignment. I think this will be solved when the legs are screwed to the top, but it does introduce some stress to the design.
The stool is all done and passed on to my nephew. I used Rustins danish oil to finish, just two coats. I didn’t touch the first coat after application but buffed the second after about an hour. I’m going to make a second one for my niece.