Good evening all,
I have been lurking around for while but thought I would post up.
Paul has inspired me to have a go and as such I have now made four of the wall clocks as gifts and now I’m working through the chest project.
As you can hopefully see in the pics it’s pine, all hand cut etc. I don’t have a bench or a vice just a work mate and one of the bar tables to rest on. I live in a flat above our Bussiness so no workshop!
It has been great so far and I only have about 5 hours in.
I liked the extra draws and the smaller draws are for chisels and marking tools but I’ll see how that goes. One of the pics shows a right cock up with the dovetails but luckily it was on the inside, I learned what went wrong and the others are spot on.
I’ll keep posting up progress as I go along.
Not a busy forum this I see. But this will be my record of the build.
Got the top frame made smoothed and glued on, Thursday this week got the box cut up, mating faces planned and aligned and the first draw made.
Poor pics I know but hay.
Hi all, got the second draw made up and fitted today, that’s when I found the divider between the two large draws has bowed upwards, so I have had to match this radius on the bottom of the draw front and back! Also means I had cut the face of the bottom draw short as it didn’t allow for the bow so had to “address” that issue. Fitted the small draw also including a pair of packers on the back wall as I had cut the draw sides short by 3mill.
On a side note I grabbed a Faithfull cabinet scraper off amazon for 16 quid, spent 15 mins flattening the sole as it was miles out but it is now one of my best tools, cheap as chips.
It has made a great job to this pines as it’s quite knotty in places and I was catching it with the plane badly at times, this now just erases the issue totally. I did over sharpen it to start but then found just a slight bur on the blade was best.
Also fitted all the draw runners inside made from the off cuts of the draw fronts. Ordered some hinges but wen they turned up were tiny so will get some others over the weekend.
A little further drown the road this week.
Got the large draws finished, hinges mounted for the lid and only needed to adjust the sides by about half a mill on the first go.
After massively cocking up the Luther small draw front I managed to find a piece that looks ok I think so just the las draw to make Baught the locks for the lid and two large draws but they are so bloody expensive I will use a couple of pegs to lock the small draws from the inside.
Hope those of you following enjoy.
Well it’s that time of the week and a chunk of my one day off was used well.
I cut and fitted the base to the top area and it’s such a nice fit I have not bothered beading it. I did find that due to the width and depth of the ply base it was a bit flexy in the middle so added a central support off the draw decider and the pined it into this post alone.
Got the last small draw made up and fitted, scrapped the front to match the box, I find by making the draw proud by about a mill I could account for any issues with alignment and plane and scrape it flush after.
Fitted the lock to the top, still got the draw locks and the two legs to make and or fit.
Handles, I could not be arsed with making them and saw these two different sized one in the local hardware store for 20p each bargains. I like them.
It’s all had a coat of shelac now I will sand it smooth and bring on the stain!
Hopefully next week will be the last update if my mini series.
Well after trying lots of different dyes I just couldn’t find the colour I wanted so settled on stained polly.
Give a bloody strong finish and gas darkened down well. Just got the till locks to fit and the baize in the draws.
Well I think I’m done, just need to stain the inside of the lid.
I have now fitted all the locks and the two dowels that drop in from the top lock the small draws.
Handles are on and I’m really pleased with the finish.
I have felted all the draws and inside the lid and started moving in!
A big thank you to Mr Sellers for insiring me and I’m really glad I pushed through to the end. All in all I recon about 30 hours ish is invested but I could make second much faster and better as I know what not to do now.
Thanks for watching
- You must be logged in to reply to this topic.