I just thought I’d post this and see if anyone has a suggestion. I recently purchased a nice old Record 722 router to use when my Stanley 71 is too large. I’ve just used it a couple of times so far, but I’m having trouble with the round post on the cutter turning during use no matter how tight I turn the locking screw. Any suggestions would be appreciated.
Thanks, Dominik. I appreciate the input. It seems that that Record 722 is a bit different than the Stanley 271. Instead of the separate adjustment screws for the regular and bullnose positions, it uses one rod with cutouts that run through the plane body with a loose adjustment screw. I’m posting pictures that, hopefully, will explain better than I can. It certainly explains why most routers have square posts on the cutters instead of round ones!
The Record 722 is a exact copy of the Preston model. Preston were acquired by the owners of Record in the early 1930s.
I have one of these and the blade locking is positive in both locations….. No movement at all.
The photo quality is poor but seems to show the locking rod ending abruptly in what appears to be a 1/4 segment of a circle. If this is so, then it’s had the front portion broken off. There should be two semi-circular bites on the rod that should terminate in a squared- off end. If this is the case then the rear position should lock as intended, but the forward position will not work at all. In any case, the blade shank should be an exact fit in the guide hole.
If its been over-tightened, you may find the broken off end still in the bottom of the hole.
Hope that this may help to identify the problem.
No problem. This Preston/Record version is superior to the Stanley type in my opinion because the blade lock is more positive, gripping all around the shank, instead of a screw point bearing down on one spot.
The router’s not completely useless, though – it’s only the forward position, that won’t grip, the other one will work.
To be honest, I’ve had one of these for donkey’s years and can’t remember when I used the forward position.
Spares are hard to find for this little router, though good ones are still available second hand in the UK at a reasonable price…… and a model maker should be able to make a spare. The thread, I believe, is 3/16″ Whitworth.
After searching (with no luck) for a replacement, I took the broken part to my local hardware store. Using their wall-mounted thread checking fixture, I found that it was a #10-24. I bought a die in that size and a length of 3/16″ rod. With just a few minutes work with the die and a round file, I had my replacement. After seeing how far I had to file through the rod, I can see how the originals were easily broken; it gets very thin. Thanks for the assistance!
- You must be logged in to reply to this topic.