Threaded insets, I think are really handy for dismantlable structures, making jigs with moveable parts, and – in my case – assuring doors close sufficiently tight to keep mice and moths out.
Having difficulties with inserting these threads, I made a simple jig to help me. Basically, it’s an adaptation from the recommendation of using a pillar drill. I lock two nuts on a threaded rod, screw the inset to the rod, and push the rod through a hole in a guide. Another two nuts are screwed to the rod’s free end and down to the guide, leaving a distance equal to how deep the inset is to go. With the contraption secured, I use my bore to slowly screw the inset into its hole
Hopefully, the attached primitive drawing will add som clarity to the above. Please not that the support piece is for a surface. For inserting on an edge, it should be rotated 90 degrees.
Attachments:You must be logged in to view attached files.
Hi Sven-Olof, thanks for this but let me see if I understand how this works. Is this it? The threaded insert screws onto one end of the rod tight against the nuts that are locked together on that end. The nuts that are locked tight together on the other end can be gripped by, say, plies or a nut driver to turn the entire mechanism, screwing the insert into a pre-drilled hole. To get the insert actually to go in straight, you use the wooden blocks as a guide: the rod with the insert on it is fit into the hole in the block which is in turn clamped to the piece you are putting the insert in. I assume the hole in the block need to be reasonably snug on the rod to ensure the insert does go in straight. Clever.
I wish I had read this a couple of days ago. I made a guide for restoring the angle on a plane iron I was restoring. I used a thread insert in the guide so I could clamp the iron to the guide. I got the insert in but it isn’t straight. It works but it would have looked a lot better straight. Thanks Sven-Olof I’ll use this next time.
Depth is usually not problematic, but getting the inserts square and true is recognised to be problematic. To find some evidence to support that statement, I “Googled” threaded ‘inset’ and found that it apparently should be Threaded Insert – apologies for that.
In addition, it was made blatantly clear that others, long before me, had come up with jigs to overcome the problems. Please see attached link to Youtube.
- You must be logged in to reply to this topic.