Thanks for your kind responses. Sorry for the late reply, I somehow missed this.
Leanne, I used a water based dye, wiped off very quickly to bring out the rough grain. I then finished it with a couple of coats of Tried and True varnish oil. (one of my favourite finishes.) The clipped corners were serendipitous. I cut one side a little too short and so did the same on the rest of the pieces. I’m quite please with the effect.
The print is one of the ones I am most proud of.
Matt, I used 1/4 inch wide mortises, and was very careful as I e=pected to split the upright piece if I got too aggressive. I made them 3/4 inch deep. The real challenge was the stopped rebate on the vertical pieces. I’m sure there’s an easy way to do that by hand, but i ended up using a tailed router.
I’ve added another frame. My wife asked me to reframe the watercolour as she didn’t like the metal frame. I think the quarter sawn oak works quite well.
"New York is big, but this is Biggar"
Really interesting ray patterns on the frame. Makes it look like the picture is shining like the sun. Looks really cool.
Matt, Northern California - Started a blog in 2016: http://tinyshopww.blogspot.com/
Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
You must be logged in to reply to this topic.