Stanley No 71 Hand Router

  • Creator
  • #550952

    Got myself a really nice Stanley No 71 hand router on ebay a few weeks ago, for £91.01. Expensive but it’s a really good one.

    I’ve just started to use it on the tenons for my workbench but I think I need to fashion a (not sure what it’s called) wooden bed/surface/jig the router is supported upon when using it for larger tenons.

    Does anyone know what it is called so I can research making one, please?

    Thanks all

Viewing 5 replies - 76 through 80 (of 80 total)
  • Author
  • #557259


    By the way, the tang of a file (where you’d mount a handle) makes a decent deburring tool for plastic if the edges of the tang are crisp. Use the edge of the tang to scrape the burr off the plastic. A piece of scrap soft steel is even better but you’re more likely to have a file sitting about.



    Will definitely be using a coping saw for the centre hole.

    I’m also considering gluing it to the router base with some Scigrip 4SC

    Jim Thornton


    Here’s a PDF from Tap Plastics about drilling acrylic:
    Lots of information.

    If you can't afford to do big small things in a big way!



    Guess what…I feel so dumb.

    You know the little turn screw atop the no. 71, the one that raises and lowers the cutting iron? Well, I did what Dave suggested, and turned it the right way up!

    It now works fine.

    You gotta laugh! lol

    Dave Ring


    Don’t feel too bad. I’ve seen a lot of them set up that way and usually it doesn’t matter but once in a while….


Viewing 5 replies - 76 through 80 (of 80 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.