Where to buy 9/32 -24 die in the UK?

Welcome! Forums General Woodworking Discussions Tools and Tool Maintenance/Restoration Where to buy 9/32 -24 die in the UK?

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author
    dotian
    Participant

Hi
    Anyone here in the U.K. know where I can buy a die to suit the 9/32″ 24tpi thread on the lever cap screw on the Stanley No. 4 plane?
    I’m restoring an old Stanley Bailey USA plane and need to chase the thread on the lever cap screw to clean it up.

Thanks
    Ian

Andrew Gardiner
    Participant

Can’t help with a die (which is obviously a non-standard size) but perhaps a thread restoring file such as here which claims a 24tpi section would be suitable?

AndyG

dotian
    Participant

Hi AndyG
    Many thanks for your reply. Your suggestion sounds to be the solution since, as you say, the thread is non-standard so the likelihood of finding a die here in the U.K. is very slim.
    Cheers
    Ian

Larry Geib
    Participant

Try looking for “adjustable threading die”. They are made for cleaning threads, not cutting them.
    5/16-24 is a standard size and should adjust down 1/32″. Adjustable threading dies are designed for the purpose. Ask about adjustability range before you buy.

But Stanley threads are based on old ( pre 1850) Whitworth standards, so the threads are 55° instead of UNF 60° On older planes. They will still work, though.

I don’t know about the U.K., but in the USA, here’s the first that popped up.
    https://www.mutualscrew.com/product/51624-round-adjustable-die-1316-od-hss-87028.cfm

I did see some UK listings, but with 598 listings, I’ll let you check.
    They seem more expensive there, though. It might pay to order from the USA.

dotian
    Participant

Hi Larry
    Thanks a lot for your input – I’ve checked it out and I can buy this die over here through Amazon for the equivalent of about $12 which isn’t too bad (it actually ships from the USA). For that price it’s worth a go – so thanks again for the suggestion.

Larry Geib
    Participant

Let us know how it works out. If you don’t have a die holder, you can squeeze the die with just a hose clamp and clean the threads by hand or with an adjustable wrench.

Edouard Poitras
    Participant

Hi larry-
    I know you are probably sure of the measurement but the standard SAE fine thread for a 10/32 or 5/16 is also 24 tpi- You are off by a 32nd. Maybe you should try a 5/16-24 screw or nut depending on what you are trying to match.
    Good Luck,
    Ed

• This reply was modified 4 years, 11 months ago by Edouard Poitras. Reason: incorrect diameter
    Larry Geib
    Participant

I am fully aware that 9/32 is 1/32 different than 5/16.

I specified an

ADUSTABLE

die that I believe can be reduced that 1/32 inch to match the diameter of the Stanley bolt Ian is trying to rethread.

9/32-24 is not a standard size, but 5/16-24 is common, and an ADJUSTABLE die should work fine to rethread the thinner bolt.

• This reply was modified 4 years, 11 months ago by Larry Geib.
Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.