So it took a while getting around to actually making it but once I started it actually went pretty well. It’s not perfect but of course but I learned a lot. It was all built on my black and decker workmate and I must say that keeping that from moving around while planning the slabs was a challenge. My solution was to get one of the kids to come and sit on it while I planed – which worked pretty well!
Mistakes – well I managed to glue up one of the leg frames a little out of square but I was able to fix it up with a little planning. I also spent ages sorting out the wood to minimise knots on the top and on the outside – then managed to cut the recess on one of the aprons on the wrong edge – leaving the nice edge facing the ground. The mortices could have been better but it was a great learning exercise – the last one of the 8 was actually pretty good.
Thanks very much to Paul and his team for the inspiration to get it built.