French oak with cherry wedges. A ‘character’ board, with a knot on the edge that had to be smoothed out with a rasp.
From an ash plank (remainder is under the stool)–I got a dime-size blister preparing the stock!
I used Oak wood, for everything but the pins, where I used mahogany. I finished with two layers of Shellac, sanded in between. Then I used iron wool to 000 to “break” the shellac and applied home made wax (turpentine 80%, honeybees wax 10%, shellac wax 8%, and 2% paraffin).
Walnut Footstool was my first attempt at spokeshaving. I used slightly over dimensioned stock for my footstool and I think it looks pretty animated. I can’t wait to make another one of these to work on technique. So much fun.