Hello fellow woodworkers,
I just want to share my current project, a pedestal desk. It’s my most complex but also most rewarding project so far. I am building this for my first daughter. She is almost 6 years old now and she is getting too tall for the little simple desk/table she uses at the moment. A couple of months ago I asked her to look for a desk she might like. She came up with a pedestal desk. With her preference in mind I started the design, making drawings, decided on the material etc etc.
It’s made from Spruce and some cheap plywood, be cause it will be painted white and pink (it’s a girl remember :)). And off course it’s all hand work, no machine whatsoever. So far I’ve cut 48 mortices and tenons, with the help of Paul’s morticing jig. That really speeded up the process.
My original plan was to have raised panels in the frames, but I failed horribly. I was not happy with the results and be cause of time restraints I decided to do it differently. Just a plain plywood panel with a moulding. The latter has to be done yet.
While gluing up the frames and panels I made a big mistake. When I glued the last stile to the rails I noticed that I forgot to insert one of the panels. I am not quite sure how I managed to forget that. Unfortunately the glue had already grabbed the wood. You can imagine how I felt at that moment. With very much luck and devotion I managed to loosen some joints and squeezed in the panel. I was able to breathe again.
Let me finish this part with some pictures. More to come later.
Thanks. Well I did use an antique saw on the plywood 🙂 I have to buy a new construction saw. There is still a lot to do. The top isn’t cut to length and width yet and it needs an edge band. I have to make drawers, doors, a base skirt and some other details. At least it looks like a desk already 🙂
I don’t have to tell you how quickly that plywood will blunt your saw, unless you know how to sharpen it, it would be a pity. For a first complex project you have done really well I commend you just don’t rush to finish it so you don’t make any mistakes you’ll regret later. When you do the drawers take your time and go back & forward between the shooting board and the opening. Whatever you do don’t rush this process. I don’t think you need any tips though you have done remarkably well all on your own. Congrats from the land down under, in case you don’t know what that means (Australia)
I have made some progress with the desk. The cabinets are glued now, the compartment in the center is almost ready, the top is cut to size and the edge band is in place with mitered corners.
I am almost ready to start the build of the drawers. But first I will enjoy a holiday. I will make the drawers like Paul did on the tool chest.
Last month I finally finished this project. The build took me about 5 months. My little princess is very happy with it and that’s what matters most.
The hardest part must have been the paint job. Using multiple colors made things a little more complicated.
Installing the desk led to other tasks. In the following pictures you see two bookshelves hanging on the wall. These had to be relocated and while drilling new holes in the wall I hit an electricity cable. So another task came along and that was replacing the cable.
I also had to repair the previous holes I drilled and now I must repaint the wall.
Anyhow, here are some pictures.
- This reply was modified 8 years ago by Michael van Zadelhoff.
- You must be logged in to reply to this topic.