23 August 2013 at 9:32 am #16924
I have enjoyed making this project and found it has been very useful for developing some much needed skill. However, I have experienced a nasty little problem. After putting everything together it fit pretty well (some gaps but it is a first attempt) then when I put the dowels through I split the end boards.
Can you explain what might have been the problem?
I cut the dowels through a sturdy washer and they seemed a good fit to the hole I drilled.
/Users/shudokan/Pictures/iPhoto Library.photolibrary/Masters/2013/08/23/20130823-092118/IMG_1641.JPG/Users/shudokan/Pictures/iPhoto Library.photolibrary/Masters/2013/08/23/20130823-092118/IMG_1642.JPG23 August 2013 at 9:34 am #16925
Maybe this has worked for the picture?23 August 2013 at 9:36 am #16927
This is a better (worse) example23 August 2013 at 10:13 am #16929George BridgemanParticipant
It looks to me like your holes aren’t aligned. When hammering the dowels through, they couldn’t find the hole on the other side so came into contact with the wood and forced the wood from the inside (the side you’re pushing it through from), pushed it outwards and caused a split.
The dowel in the left of the photo looks like it’s too far to the right, leaving a gap between the dowel and the hole. The dowel on the left is the opposite. This may be caused by the hole in the tenon being off-center on the horizontal axis.
Does this make sense?
"To know and not do is to not know"23 August 2013 at 10:53 am #16930JerryHParticipant
did you sharpen the end of the dowel before you used them? Paul showed this in his video and its and easy step to miss.23 August 2013 at 12:08 pm #16932david o’sullivanParticipant
i think mick has your answer. no leading edge for the dowel to pass through so it caught the underside and just blew it out ,frustrating .
"we can learn what to do, by doing" Aristotle23 August 2013 at 1:34 pm #16933
Thank you for your comments, I really appreciate them. I did taper the end quite a lot. I also made sure on the last one that the thin end was through, it was as I hammered further that the wood split. I can see the holes have not aligned but I thought the idea was that the dowel forced them together thus firming up the fit?
Any further comments much welcomed.23 August 2013 at 2:23 pm #16934robinhcParticipant
Humm …. looks like it is time for some serious inlay work to hide that hole.
Robin ... Richmond, Virginia, USA23 August 2013 at 3:49 pm #16946
Thanks Robin, I do plan to find a fix somehow and use the board for something. Inlay might be beyond me abut a big blob of epoxy……….23 August 2013 at 6:58 pm #16953robinhcParticipant
The trick is to remove even more wood before filling it in – and make it look like you had planned to do it all along
Robin ... Richmond, Virginia, USA3 September 2013 at 9:08 am #17377
Here is the finished board with the good side up, and a shot of the fix to the nasty break out. It is a bit ugly with the mistakes (I prefer to call them features) but I have learnt a lot, including the use of epoxy! This will be my last project on my old bench as I now embark on building a new Paul Sellers workbench. hopefully the first project on the new bench will be a better board.
Thanks for all the advice and encouragement.
Mick3 September 2013 at 9:09 am #17380
Here is the good side4 September 2013 at 8:43 am #17440dbornParticipant
Looks good! Ad some rubber feeties to the bottom and you’ll never notice the tear out.4 September 2013 at 9:00 am #17442
Thanks Dan4 September 2013 at 9:52 am #17443David GillParticipant
Mike it looks fine , what did you finish it with, it has brought out the colour great
Wigan, Lancs. England :
- You must be logged in to reply to this topic.