Welcome! Forums General Woodworking Discussions Tools and Tool Maintenance/Restoration 4 in 1 rasp new vs old – disappointed

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Author
    BrianJ
    Participant

My inherited 4-1 file / rasp may have been previously used on metal, and so I headed to lee valley to get a new one. When I opened the plastic wrap – I was surprised to see how the ends are now sheared and left with sharp pointed ends. I returned to the store to look at another which had the same. I am disappointed and will likely return this item, it has a horrible feel in the hand, not at all like the nicholson of old. It also lacks some weight/heft and is slightly narrower.

Ontario, Canada

Attachments:
    Carlos J. Collazo
    Participant

Hi Brian –

Theres a nice, 4-in-1 rasp made by Auriou, a French dealer, that is supposed to good quality, hand-cut tool that Paul mentions in his blog here:

http://paulsellers.com/2013/07/aurou-rasps-good-on-the-wood-and-good-in-the-hand/

In the comments section he mentions the 4-in-1 as a good alternative to getting the set of chairmakers rasps, which are much costlier.

New Jersey, U.S.A.

BrianJ
    Participant

Missed that one!! Thank you for the link. Guess I will have to save up a bit for that one.

Ontario, Canada

John Purser
    Participant

I ordered a Stanley 4 in 1 hand rasp and was similarly disappointed. The round file side didn’t actually have teeth in the middle. There were intersecting lines but they didn’t cut deeply enough to create a tooth. Back it went.

I’ve got a Grobet 4 in 1 coming in the mail.

John

John Purser
    Hubert, NC

BrianJ
    Participant

Sorry I omitted that in original post, the ‘new’ one is a grobet.

Ontario, Canada

Scott V
    Participant

Brian- I have at least two vintage Nicholson 4-in-1’s I picked up in my travels. I was going to offer one of them to you for free, but I cannot figure how to ship from Los Angeles to Alberta for less than a small fortune. 🙁

Carlos- Thanks for letting me know about the Auriou version. That slipped past my radar.

-Scott Los Angeles, California, USA

BrianJ
    Participant

Thanks for the offer sir – very kind. (Brokerage and duty is a killer….eh?) I may hold out for one of significant quality a little later on.

Ontario, Canada

Mark Armstrong
    Participant

Files and rasps that’s starting to get another tool fettish for me flat,half rounds, mill, round, saw files rasps 4n1’s. I must have quite a collection now and keep adding handy things to have.

Dagenham, Essex, England

griz
    Participant

I got my 4 in 1 on eBay for next to nothing. It is an old Nicholson and works fine.

John Purser
    Participant

My Grobet arrived yesterday and it’s a huge improvement over the Stanley. It feels a bit slenderer than the Stanley as I remember but all the teeth are sharp and well formed.

John Purser
    Hubert, NC

BrianJ
    Participant

Good to know there are some good finds out there guys.

Ontario, Canada

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.