Bootstrapping of a tiny workshop

Welcome! Forums General Woodworking Discussions Projects Bootstrapping of a tiny workshop

Viewing 2 posts - 16 through 17 (of 17 total)
  • Author
    Posts
  • #548741
    Ecky H
    Participant

    Intermediate status: The boards for the aprons, bench top and legs are ripped to width, the bench top and the legs are glued up and the bench top is flattened and cut to length. All milled by hand.

    Today I had one of those remarkable moments: I applied the glue with that zigzag pattern, poured some salt onto the that board, put the second board on top and was somehow surprised. That technique indeed works! No more struggling with boards that slip away on the glue! So I regret that I didn’t try that much earlier.

    Next steps are to flatten and straighten the boards for the aprons and glue them up, making the stretches for the legs, do the mortises and tenons and build the leg frames.

    E.

    PS: Could it be that milling stock by hand was the duty of the apprentices in the time when jointers and thickness planers weren’t invented yet? 😉

    Veni, vidi, serravi.

    Münster, Germany

    #553892
    Ecky H
    Participant

    Finally…

    The deed is nearly done: roughly 200 hours of work, 120 of them for milling stock by hand which means 50 metres rip and cross cutting through 50mm thick dense pine and 8 square meters planing.
    Yesterday I applied linseed oil finish to the workbench. Today I’ll make the vice jaws.

    The whole bench surely weighs more than 100kg.

    Due to the shortness of the bench I decided to make longitudinal splayed legs. That added some complexity to laying out the recesses, but first load tests showed that it works fairly well.

    E.

    Veni, vidi, serravi.

    Münster, Germany

Viewing 2 posts - 16 through 17 (of 17 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.