My first attempt at breadboard ends. I think I have enough oak left to make another one, and will hopefully do a better job of it. My shoulders were tight when dry fitting, but for some reason my drawbore pins were not accurate and this caused gaps during assembly. I suspect what happened is that the brace wandered on me when drilling the tenons. When I was marking the tenon hole centers as Paul shows in the video, I was having trouble seeing the mark so dug the snail in a bit too much. I think this caused the brace to wander when I tried to move it in for the drawbore hole.
Your corner rounds looks very well done. Its a good looking piece even though you are not completely happy with it the fact that you already have thoughts of making another means you can take what you’ve learned as you said. If you are like many of us, you may not be happy with your second either… Haha.
Thanks! I eyeballed the offset for drilling the tenons and was aiming for about 1/16″. At least that’s what I thought I was doing, but the final fit showed otherwise. 🙂 As soon as I started final assembly I could tell the holes weren’t placed accurately.
That is not a easy joint for anyone to make,
This being your first you did good. Be proud of what you made. As is said next time.! Grab a stick and make something, different with the same joint. Use the joint in a few projects.