Thanks for the kind words, db…but I used a single complex moulding plane for the moldings on this clock, which I got on ebay for around $30 U.S. It only needed a little bit of effort to get the cutter good and sharp and was good to go. I think it is a perfect size and shape for this project, so it was an easy decision to go with this profile. If I make any more pieces like this, I will most likely use the same plane again.
Here is another clock. This one I used a router bit to raise the panel. I’ve made plenty of raised panels by hand, so I wanted a try with a router. I don’t mind it,it’s just not as soft looking as the pillowed panels made by hand. Everything else was made by hand,even cutting the circles out with a coping saw and refining them with a rasp.
I really like the three faced clock. I’ve made two so far and I’ve given them away as presents. The hygrometer, measures humidity, needs to be calibrated at least once a year. I like the idea of them but not sure how well they function. I picked them up from Klock-it in Wisconsin.
The chatoyance I got from dyeing the wood twice. First coat was sanded back almost completely off, then a second coat of dye. Next was a coat if wiping varnish and 3 coats of shellac and furniture wax.. It really sounds more difficult than it is..