Last night began the journey into making a tool cabinet. I’ve got a rough sketch of the design and the dimensions are 30 in x 36 x 10 7/8 deep. I got the boards glued up last night and today I finished up dovetailing 2 corners. Its going to have two 2 1/2 in deep doors fitted with all manner of tool holding devices. Thought I’d post as means to keep track of my progress…and screw ups 😛
Brent, I did a search on Becksvoort and found that my plan is very similar to that style although not so elaborate as some.
Pictures will happen Jesper, once I’ve got something to take pictures of, right all I have is 4 boards on my bench with dovetails partially cut out/marked out 😛
I’ve managed to get some work done on my cabinet this week. The main cabinet carcass is glued up and now I am in the process of building the door frames and panels. The glue up of the cabinet body did not go well. I was quite proud of the fact that the dovetails I cut on the frame were very tight but this proved to be a nightmare when trying to glue them. Two corners locked up before I was able to get them closed and in the process of trying to snug them up a few of the pins broke in two. So now I have to go back and make some wedges to fit them. Lesson learned, you can’t lolly gag around when glueing up and don’t make joints too tight. Do our modern glues set too fast ? All this plus the fact that in the process of gluing somehow I managed to clamp the thing out of square so it took me a while to unclamp the thing trying to figure out how this happened, this with the glue doing its thing I was not a happy boy. lol. So I installed the cabinet back boards which I knew to be square then reclamped and this helped somewhat. I am perplexed as I cannot figure this out.
Drawer carcass and runners was made of 1/2 inch oak and this was also a bit of a pain. The smallest chisel I have is 1/2 inch so I was unable to mortise and tenon the joints and so I dug through my rubbermaid tubs in search of my dowel centerer thingamabob. Yes I used dowels…It went reasonably well but now I realise I need a full set of chisels instead of just a 1/2 and 1 inch.
Door frames and panels and lastly the drawers are all that need to be finished up. Its gone well despite some hickups so far.
-CanadaAnonymous30 December 2012 at 6:32 pm #5902
Tool cabinet is looking real nice Dave. I look forward to seeing the pics, when you have it finished and full of tools.
Nice job 🙂
Thanks Guys, its going reasonably well, instead of making drawers I opted to get my stuff out of the rubber maid tubs and began making all the little finicky tool doo dadd holders. I’ve opted to not put in my panel saws instead I’ll hang them on the outsides of the cabinet. I’ll have more room for the small stuff as I acquire more tools. So basically all I have left to do is finish up putting in the rest of the tool holders and make the drawers. I’ve used birch as the shelving and the drawers will be birch. Its very hard to work, like maple but it is a very nice wood when oiled up with danish oil.
Brent, the back is tongue and grooved with my plough plane and rebated in the back, the tongue and groove joints are not glued but the ends of the boards are screwed into the back.
- You must be logged in to reply to this topic.