Sellers Home Side Cupboard: Episode 2
This is an episode in a paid series. Want to watch it? You just need to sign up as a paid member, and you can enjoy this video and many other videos we think you will love.
Marrying the second half of the dovetails was not so simple this time, but perseverance gets the result we need and strive for every time. We learn so much when we recognise that different woods act and react differently as we work them. Paul uses a knife to get the exactness for the dovetails, and realises the pencil would work better as he progresses to the other corners. There were problems, too, with cupping, but again he worked through the difficulties and ended up with a good corner.
Great episode. I sometimes can get the tails to seat nicely, but end up with some gaps in the shoulder lines of the dove tails. Do you have any advice on troubleshooting this problem. Thank you!
On Common Woodworking we have some troubleshooting for dovetails:
You can use your Woodworking Masterclasses details to log in.
Thanks Paul. For me, it is much more helpful to watch you go through the diagnosis to get your dovetails to fit. Most of the time, mine are too tight. More often than not, I don’t pare enough and end up with some splitting. Seeing what you went through on this was quite helpful.
Thanks Paul for the little details / comments as you go through the video. Some may seam inconsequential but actually address ongoing questions of mine.
Another great video, Paul. I can’t wait to get back in the shop after my shoulder is heal!
When there are that many dovetails and it is that difficult to assemble dry, I have to wonder whether glue will lubricate and help or cause swelling and big problems.
If you’ll put glue on dovetails that don’t fit dry, you’re a brave man than I!
Why is the alternate player unavailable
I made a large hickory chest and used a similar dovetail method for the joinery. The problem I ran into was that the panels warped a bit after I had already cut the dovetails. I was able to use clamps with a beam to force the panels flat and then fit the joints together, but it was quite a challenge at glue up time!
The glue up went fairly well, but it was a bit dicey getting everything done before the glue set.